Everything you missed from Saturday’s third round at the Chevron World Challenge.
- Jim Furyk continues to amaze me and it’s not because of his “phone booth” swing. He had a chance to cushion his lead on 18 and go into day 4 with a 1-2 shot lead. Instead, he pulled a “me” and donated his 2nd shot to the drink. I know how you feel, Jim…I have a phobia of water too. Furyk pulled the string too much from the drop and then missed his putt to give him a double and a 70 for the day. He’s currently at -7 and should make for an interesting Sunday.
- Villegas picked up where he left off and continued to plat consistent golf. By the way, what does he have against regular-sized bills on his hats? He started to look a little shaky on the 16th par 5. His tee shot landed directly in the fairway bunker and his out shot was a terrible effort that went about 30 yards into the rough. I know it wasn’t a great lie in the sand but it was still a bad shot. luckily for him, he stuck his 3rd shot withing striking distance from the pin and penciled in a par. I guess that is why these guys are doing what they do and I am doing what I do…sit on the couch and watch in awe. I still can’t get over his hats, though. Camilo finished with a 69 (giggedy) and is 2 shots off the lead.
- The greens looked like they were in great shape…and by great shape I mean hard as hell. Overall I thought the course looked a lot better than the previous 2 days. Jack Nicklaus is a genius.
- Anthony Kim is still the man. I may pick him to win every tournament this year…even if he is not playing. How do you get a belt buckle with your name on it? Not that I would wear it but if I only had the option. The reality is that he could have blown the doors off if he would have made a few more of the “make-able”, shorter putts. There were at least 3 that I thought were as good as in but he pushed and pulled them just off of the cup. He shot a 67 and is the leader at -8 overall.
- So much for KP, AC. Kenny Perry finished with a 75 and is +4…not looking good for one of the expert’s pick this week. Don’t call it a comeback, AC. No seriously, don’t.
- Watch out for Vee-Jay. Dude shot a 67 and is -6 for the tournament…as well as the owner of the shot of the day, a chip-in eagle from the fringe on the 13th. I would be shocked if he is not in the top 3 after Sunday.
- The ageless wonder, Freddie Couples just won’t go away. He shot a consistent 72 and is -2, just 6 shots off the lead. Unless the other guys pull a Furyk and blow the lead, I don’t think Couples has what it takes to knock down multiple birdies. I see him shooting a 71 or 72 again and hold on for a nice check in the top 10.
- Steve Stricker had a pretty good day at the office Saturday. Fairways hit 13/13; Greens 13/18; 28 Putts; Shot a 68 and is -6. Decent.
- Expert Picks Update: The Real AC picked Kenny Perry. See above. Spencer and myself picked Anthony Kim. See above. The Dude selected KJ Choi. KJ is tied for 7th with Freddie at -2 and is capable of challenging if he can make a little run on Sunday. I’m glad I didn’t go with my first choice, Justin Leonard since he is +7.
C’mon AK. Make this a no-doubter and high-five the fans again.